Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I would rather read than eat.

Last night I taught an Intro to Candle Magic class at the Sacred Well. The weather was absolutely miserable, and the wind knocked out a lot of the power in Chilliwack, so the attendance was not as great as we were expecting based on the confirmation calls we'd received. However! The ladies who did attend were lovely, and easy to engage, and they all seemed satisfied with the information given.

A beginners course is challenging, in some ways, because you really have to break your practice down into steps and describe the hows and whys of what you're doing. You also have to bear in mind that not everyone has the same background as you do - if I'm sitting around drunk with the English Ginger (oh, those were the days) and I start quoting something or screeching about how I once read 'The Dark Crystal' was a Qabalastic film, he gets it. Do that to someone whose only exposure to the occult is a book on Wicca they bought eight years ago and you're going to come off like a douche.

(As an aside... the longest running occult joke Pete and I have now is simply, "I would fuck a prostitute!" Some day I'll explain it.)

Aaaaaaaaaanyway, while I was there, I bought candles (duh - I fucking love the Motor City Hoodoo ones) and some books. I finally got my copy of Protection & Reversal Magic by Jason Miller! This is one of those books I've read rave reviews for all over the magical blogosphere, and so I've been dying to pick it up. I'll let ya'll know how it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment