Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

E is for Ego

This is a response to the Pagan Blog Project. It's also a day late.

I remember being a little girl - probably about ten years old - and waking up one night thinking about dying.

"It's just like going to sleep," I told myself, and then immediately thought, "no, It isn't. Because you never wake up." The enormity of this squeezed my heart in my chest, and I fled to the living room and my mother's arms, unable to explain why the thought terrified me so.

What I couldn't explain to her, as I sat beside her snuffling in pyjamas inexplicably decorated with dancing German pigs, was that the thought of the essential I-ness of me simply not existing was nigh intolerable.

That's the power of the ego.

A few years later, I would begin my study of so-called 'alternative' spirituality. My dad, bless him, is a very Zen sort of guy, and through him I read books on Buddhism and meditation. I read that the aim of Buddhism was to annihilate the ego, to step out of the cosmic game of life and attain union with the Divine. My measured and mature teenage response was, naturally:

"Why would anybody want to do that?!"

It would be a few more years before I learned about theories involving the makeup of the soul as a thing composed of parts as opposed to a single entity, and about the idea of the Second Death. (And Third! And possibly more!)

Morbid subject matter, but I was goth. Seriously, I've seen Siouxsie Sioux, Andrew Eldritch, and Peter Murphy live in concert; if you'd cut me I would have bled black. This meant that death, and everything associated with it, was a part of my life. I was drawn to gods of the cemetery and battlefield like a fly to... well. Let's say corpses.

But in spite of all the spookiness, still I feared the destruction of the ego.

John Michael Greer's book Monsters was oddly the first downright accessible book I'd read involving Western Ceremonial magic (try slogging through Fortune's 'Applied Magic' when you're eighteen and have only read Wicca 101 fare to date) and in it he says, regarding etheric revenants,  "..the technique is a way of deliberately evading the Second Death... the soul stays within reach of the living." I read that and was actually annoyed he didn't give instructions on bulking up your etheric body so you could do just that!

There's that ego again. Stamping her foot and declaring SHE is too important to be banished to nothingness.

"At this point you may be asking yourself, 'All this may have been fine and good for the initiated royalty of ancient Egypt, but what does it mean to me? I'm not going to school to learn how to die.'
My staid answer to that question would be, 'Aren't you?'"
- Lon Milo DuQuette
Low Magic

The ego likes to think it's all of you. It doesn't like to shut up, either - a constant impediment to my repeatedly failed attempts at simple meditation. Guided meditation? No problem. The ego still thinks she's in charge, and I'm a visual person. But sitting still and trying to get myself to be silent? Oh, fuck me, it's almost impossible!

A couple years ago, my father the Zen master gave me a copy of Yoga Nidra by Richard Miller - I occasionally suffer from stress-related seizures, and I think he was hoping this would help me to chill the fuck out. I still haven't gotten around to listening to the included audio CD, but I've recently flipped through the book again after sort of forgetting about it.

And I've noticed something odd, since doing so... I've started to think to myself that putting a muzzle on the I-ness of myself could actually be beneficial. Maybe - just maybe! - it would finally banish those late-night moments of "holy shit I'm not going to be here one day!" or at least make them less all-consuming. Besides that, I fear I seriously cripple my spiritual development.

I'm not saying I want to blast it away and achieve some sort of miraculous enlightenment right the fuck now. I happen to rather like my sense of self. But one of my goals for this year is to maybe get it to loosen up a bit. Step aside so that I can get a better idea of the other parts of my soul. Just shut up every once in a while so it's easier to hear from other things!

But bitch doesn't have to leave entirely. After all, I'm not at the revolving gates of death quite yet.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you've seemed to have had a spiritual connection to me while writing! Apart from being goth - and the German pigs, although the women in our family do wear weird nighties -, this reads like my own experiences.
    I've found that doing yoga puts me in a more zen state of mind, but I have to admit I'm too lazy to actually get up and practice it every day... but at least it's a step in the right direction.
    I'm interested in hearing what you decide to do to lessen the ego!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a weird nightie, and I'm not sure why I remember it.

      I do actually do yoga, although my practice tends to wax and wane a lot. It does help with the brain-calming, definitely.

      Delete
  2. This is one of those posts where I don't know what to add because is so complete that saying something makes me sound presumptuous or annoying. But here I go...

    I think when we are little it is so difficult to see the world as a place that it isn't ours and working for us alone that we get lost inside ourselves. Then we get to our teen years and understand things a bit more different and the sense of loss is terrifying. And then (yes, more and then) we grow up and ours lives (and by ours I mean mine lol) goes up and down the ego stairs trying to find balance. I'm hoping to find that step one day. In the meantime we can only try, right?

    P.S. I'm giggling at the PJ's ;-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't sound presumptuous to me. I actually agree - I'm thirty now, and the whole idea really does seem a lot less horrifying.

      My mother was for years a geriatric nurse, and I remember she told me when I was little that when you get old, dying's not so scary. I'm starting to suspect she was annoyingly right as always.

      Delete
  3. Perhaps as a function of age or the fact that I gave up Christianity much like one gives up a deadly vice, ego, in relation to death, became more subdued. After embracing a life fully connected to nature, death seems so much more a simple natural act than a scary event where the soul is ripped away and sent *somewhere* potentially unpleasant. That said, you are so right about needing to find that fine balance where the ego of self-love lives in harmony with the ego of "all-me, all the time". Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Death and I have a weird relationship, where I understand the function and still sometimes think, "...but I'm exempt, right?!" I never did believe in hell or anything of the sort, so it's not really being sent somewhere that bothers me - if that happened, I'd still be conscious, you know?

      Thank you for your comments!

      Delete
  4. This thing of death and the finality of it.. at least that is what our Ego wants us to believe...

    I have a different take on it.. sorta... I grew up on a farm and often I had to kill things... Chickens, the occasional, pig, goat or what ever it was we were butcherin'... I was a hunter and we always spent our summers fishing and winters ice fishing...

    Dying and killing was what we did... I saw the life leave the eyes of many creatures... I usually felt sorry that I had ended their life.. sometimes when being merciful, meant ending the life of a suffering animal, I felt a combination of sadness and joy...

    I'm not sure I'm making myself very clear... actually I'm pretty sure I'm scaring the hell outa many people, by talking about the ability to kill another living creature... It is what it is... in order to live..something must die... whether it be chicken or carrot... they are both alive then they are dead so that we can live..

    Growing up with these types of experiences, has made death a friend of sorts... I know when he is near.. and rather than the fear.. I embrace the ending and hold that space so others can go through their grieving...

    I know it as an end, but just the other side of those staring eyes is a different experience... we will all go through it...

    I sometimes have thoughts of what it would be like to have my Ego silenced. not in a I'm gonna go kill myself way... more of curiosity... I think it will actually be liberating...

    ReplyDelete